Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Spirituality of Science

It's been a battle among humans, for a very long time, trying to get this picture of God into a place that is pleasing for them. And the debate about "Is it evolution? Is it creation? Is it God-inspired, or is it scientifically inspired…?" And we say, why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't everything that is wrapped up in science and vibration be the true essence of that which you call God? It is all one and the same.--- Abraham
Excerpted from the workshop in Chicago, IL on Saturday, September 18th, 2004 #405
Our Love,
Jerry and Esther


I love this quote.  I love receiving such inspiration in my inbox every morning.

I have said several times since I started back to school studying the sciences that the more I learn the more it strengthens my spirituality.  I love anatomy and physiology.   The levels of organization, body mechanics fascinate me.  The muscular system, a body stripped of it's integument (skin) is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.  When I studied general biology, with a broad but perhaps less passionate interest, I was awed by the cell.  The other students were bored learning about the RER, and the SER, and the Golgi Complex...but I was lost in mental reverie and considering cellular consciousness theory.  And mitochondria, damn, there's a WAY cool organelle...a possible early cellular parasite with it's own DNA separate from ours, and functions within each and every cell that we could not live without. 
Now that I am learning basic Chemisty, I am fascinated by the organization of the periodic table.  That each element has a number of protons in the nucleus and that they are numerically sequential, and in the shape of a snake winding it's way around periods and groups, both of which have correlations to numbers of electrons, ability to form bonds, and other predictable qualities simply because of the placement in the natural order. 

Simply put, I believe that the study of science, of our natural world and how it is constructed, created, organized, and how it functions, IS the study of God. 

When an atheist scientist works without an understanding of the Light, or when a Spiritualist is without a basic grasp of science....I feel a little sadness that those folks might be missing a bigger picture.    At least when a person has one or the other, it could be said that they are serving Universe in their own way.   But I like having what I perceive to be both.

And to speak to the first sentence above, about "getting a picture of God into a place that is pleasing for them," yes, I do this.  Very much so.  I am a visual person in my learning and in my expression.  I often attempt to visualize my personal god-concept, and every time I fall short.  I choose, instead, to make use of which ever diety feels right at the moment.  Sometimes I feel a green Goddess like Briget or Rhiannon, sometimes I see a white Blessed Mother, sometimes it's Tara, perhaps Saraswati, and for many years I saw Quan-yin.  Some days I see rainbow swirls and fractals, somedays it's Hanuman or Murugan, sometimes it's my bare feet in grass, my hands touching a tree, and when I am fortunate enough to be on the coast, my feet in the ocean tides, my arms thrown wide, face to the setting sun....and some times I see god in blood, pain, and tears at the end of a needle.

I see the Divine in each of us.  When someone offers me a kindness, I give thanks.  When my cat, Switch decides he needs to be on top of whatever I am doing, I give thanks.  When I am on my bike and I feel like we are ONE, I give thanks.  When I am filled by a phallus with a sense of completeness, I give thanks. When I feel joy and fulfillment from my studies or my work....ALL of these concepts and experiences are God, Goddess, Source, Creator, Universe. 

I am Blessed. 

And so are YOU. 

1 comment:

  1. I like what you write here.

    My own spiritual path has taken me to a place of paradoxical atheism. I love science too for some of the same reasons you cite. I have a saved Google News search for mitochondria, for example, and have been slowly reading a book called Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life.

    Another book that is on my list to read when I get the chance is called God's Debris and from what I know it probably best sums up my atheistic sentiments. I believe in a kind of resurrection mystery, and that God is reality. So for me the spiritual experience of heaven is being in the experience of each moment, while the spiritual experience of hell is being in my mind's interpretations of the moment.

    I've also come to see that Satan and Jesus are really just ideas and a kind of dialectic between the Self and the Other. They are both necessary and both need each other. Yet I reject that dualism and seek synthesis.

    /babble.

    ReplyDelete