Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rain smells like horse poop

I got out for a ride on the bike this evening.  I only went about 15 miles, but it was good to be out.  She needed riding as much as I needed to ride.  The air in the tires got toped off and I got to try my new yellow tint night riding goggles and vented nylon topped leather gloves.  My hands were actually quite cool.  :) Sometimes I think that if I don't practice regularly then I'm going to let the fear get to me.  Fear that I'm not going to be able to ride again, or fear that I'll forget how to ride and I'll have an accident. Or that I'll forget how to lean or to trust the tires.

For the whole ride I was hyper aware of the smells around me.  The fuel she was burning, the rubber on the asphalt, the other vehicles, the stagnant pond, the smell of water in someone backyard or pool...or maybe it was one of the fake lakes.  And I could smell someone grilling dead cow.  Did you know it smells different than grilling other animal flesh? But most of all I could smell horse poop.  This was a fascinating effect of weather coming in that happened in Colorado too.  When a storm front was moving in we'd say that it must be going to rain 'cause it "smelled like Greeley" (a small town north of Denver with U of Northern CO...and it was farm country.)  Somehow the smell of poop in the air was all around me this evening.  And what was most fascinating to me was that everyone around me had their windows rolled up tight and the A/C blasting.  It was over 100 degrees out.  On my circle back to the house I could see some rain falling maybe 20 miles southwest of where I live.  I haven't seen any yet, although my car has...just enough to pick up dust.  yuck.

I'm feeling a bit better this week, although I'm beginning to realize how much work it will be to be piercing team lead as well as supplies team lead for the Dance of Souls.  At least I have hope that I'll get a comp for the event...that I wouldn't miss anyway.

So much going on...must get back to email and stuffs.  Either I feel like crap and I'm not up to stringing words together, or I feel good and I'm doing all this other stuff so I don't have a lot of time to write.  But at least I'm writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment