Monday, October 25, 2010

Bee Totems and Lessons of Sacrifice

A little over a week ago while attending the Butchmanns Experience, a spiritual retreat teaching self-actualization within and utilizing Master/slave identifications and relationships, I was stung by a bee.
The honey bee is one of my totem animals and is tattooed on my left ankle near some flowers and a lovely but simple butterfly.  In my belief system, a personal and explicit action taken by one of my totem animals to communicate with me is a powerful message.  The fact that this bee sacrificed itself to deliver that message is a gift for which I will have eternal gratitude.  A life was given for my benefit.  Thank you, little bee.

I've come to understand that a big part of this message is wrapped up in another area of growth for me.  In August, while on retreat, I discovered that my damsel had become a princess...and that she wanted to be witnessed.  Soon after however, I realized that the path of the princess is to grow into a Queen.  I felt resistance around this but I've kept it close.  Now with the bees message of royalty, among others, this path is becoming clearer to me.  It's an evolution, and I don't expect it to happen now, or even soon.  It will happen so gradually that I may one day only fully grasp this transformation from the other side of it.

In the meantime I have researched some different meanings and traditional interpretations of bee totem messages, and I've selected a few more personally meaningful ones to share here.

In the secular world, the bee was a royal symbol and the queen bee was long regarded as a King.  Also a sign of creativity, wealth and eloquence.  The Egyptians used it as a symbol of regal power



The bee symbolizes the original source of all life and inspiration.  Looked upon as a symbol of the potency of nature, because while creating a magical elixir, known for its preservation properties, they were also pollinating flowers, increasing plant fertility, and abundance.  Because of these symbolic meanings, the bee has been used as an emblem by those who wish to associate themselves with the inspiration of the Gods.

Honey bee reminds us to gather the sweetness of life, Honoring your Nvwati/Good Medicine (divine spark), establishing firm boundaries, connecting with your natural self, Goddess and Earth energies, speaking in your true voice, working with spirits of nature, and social networking.

The Royal Bee Totem possesses the following virtues: Messages from higher planes and consciousness, prophetic dreams and visions, industry, wealth, industriousness, diligence, cooperation, productive hard work, sexual attraction, the power of giving back when taking, the ability to turn something unassuming into a wonderful creation, ability to enjoy and savor the sweetness of life, connection with the Earth and living things, divine messages, productiveness, focus, sensitivity, and realizing the fruit of ones labor.

The stinger is also significant, a bee's stinger represents sacrifice. The stinger is used as a defensive weapon, yet can result in death. When a bee totem appears you may need to ask yourself what needs to be sacrificed or let go of. If you allow yourself to let go of things that no longer serve you, the sweetness that may be in short supply will flow toward you more freely.

A lot of my work during and after that retreat weekend has revolved around my connection to Goddess and Universe, understanding what she is asking of me and acting with obedience to the best of my ability.   As I replaced the crystal I have been wearing for two and a half years as a symbol of my Service to Her (it was chipped during the retreat, itself telling me that it was time to allow it to move out of my life) I recalled that by design the crystal had covered up a scar from an old collaring ceremony of a relationship that was....erm...unsatisfactory and unhealthy for me.  I believed at one time that I needed to wait for someone else to recut over that scar...and I finally realized that *I* was that someone.  As a part of my process of the princess growing into a Queen, my recognition of the bee's message for me, the movement of the crystal out of my world, and the letting go of the connections represented by the old scar...I cut a small bee (which fit nicely) over the scar.  It looks pretty damn good for doing it myself in the mirror with a #11 straight blade. ;) Wishing I had a few #15 curved.  ;) 

I'll be recutting it again soon, as I want it to be quite permanent.  This time was for me and my process.  The next time I'll get a picture of it to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment