Saturday, April 30, 2011

Witness

I spend a lot of time alone. Well, Switch is around a lot, but still, that's different than being able to go out like I used to.

I'm alone a lot because I'm sick on a regular basis. Daily, really.

But how do I tell people this? How do I explain about every symptom that I have and how I might look normal but I'm not. How do I explain that while I can push myself through something I pay for it, dearly. For days.

I want my loved ones to know what my life is like, but I don't want to feel needy. But sometimes I am in need.

I want to be Seen for who I am and I think that's a pretty normal desire. But it seems that the only people who know me are the ones who have seen me sick. The people who have watched me crash, witnessed a toxic reaction, seen me break down in tears with exhaustion, or have an anxiety attack. My roommate who sees what my daily living does to me, how I forget about or am not up to taking care of a lot of things around the house. My friend with whom I have travelled who knows that I need a nap in the middle of the day , who helped me up when my legs gave out on me, who drove me home when I was too ill be even be upright.

But is this really me?  Who am I. I know I am not my body, and I know I am not this illness. The illness is in the body. The body is sick, *I* am not sick. And that's a big difference. What is so insidious is the interwoven neurological symptoms that limit my social activities and the terrible emotional lability like depression, anxiety and weepiness. Those are the symptoms that are most challenging to me. I can separate my Spirit/Self from my body, but I have a hard time separating my emotions and my thinking.

The hardest parts are the feelings of fear- how am I going to take care of myself if I can't work full time (and school?) The loss- I remember all the things I used to be able to do, I remember the friends I used to have. The loneliness- so much time is spent at home in bed. The anxiety- what about the future, is my health going to get worse? How am I going to pay my bills?

And yet...who am I who doesn't feel Seen or Known unless the illness is witnessed. Am I identifying too much with the sickness?

How can someone know me if they don't know my challenges. How can someone understand me if they don't understand this illness that challenges me every minute of every day.

And how do I let myself be known?

2 comments:

  1. HI Lauren,
    What a deeply relevant blog. You've touched on so many of the really tricky emotional health issues of having me/cfs or any chronic illness for so long.

    I think that one of the hardest things to manage is the depression, anxiety and weepiness that hangs around to ambush our attempts of a normal life or friendships while suffering from me/cfs. It makes it hard to plan when you don't know how your body will cope with an activity or if your emotions will let you enjoy it...

    It sounds like you do have some supportive friends around you, one of the precious lessons I hope to take away from this illness is the value of friendships. I did take some old friends for granted but now I know how valuable the truly are and am much more thankful in general.

    The illness is a part of you , it is changing you and for someone to understand and know you now, they need to know the basics of me/cfs. It affects every facet of everyday so of course it is forming a new part of your identity. I think that is a really natural part of it...although it's something that I push against as it is confronting to face.

    THanks for such a great blog I felt that I identified with a lot of what you wrote there, and want to send you a big supportive hug from one sofa to another .

    take care
    Kiwikchat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiwikchat,
    Thanks so much for your beautiful reply.

    I'm grateful for the social networks, the blogs, the e-newsletters, etc because I *can* feel more in touch with the world. What would this have been like even 10 or 15 years ago. I believe the isolation would have been overwhelming. This way I can connect to people like you and hopefully we can both feel Heard, Seen, and Understood.

    Bless you,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete